Toddler left orphaned in Chicago Fourth of July parade shooting
A two-year-old has been left an orphan after both of his parents were killed when a rooftop sniper opened fire on the Fourth of July parade in Chicago.
Irina McCarthy, 35, and Kevin McCarthy, 37, were among at least seven killed in the attack on Monday, in which around 50 people also suffered gunshot wounds and other injuries.
Their toddler, Aiden, was separated from his parents in the chaos of the shooting.
He was later returned to his grandparents by the police, a fundraising page said.
“He will have a long road ahead to heal,” wrote Irina Colon, who organised the GoFundMe page with the family’s permission.
She added that Aiden’s grandparents will care for him.
The fund has raised nearly $1.4m (£1.17m) so far.
Fourth of July shooting suspect Robert Crimo’s strange and violent online trail
“In the aftermath of the Highland Park, IL shootings on July 4, the North Shore community rallied to help a boy who we knew nothing about. We took him to safety under tragic circumstances, came together to locate his grandparents, and prayed for the safety of his family,” Ms Colon wrote.
“Sadly, I need to share his name…Aiden McCarthy. And he needs more of our help.
“His parents Irina & Kevin were killed during the July 4 shooting. At two years old, Aiden is left in the unthinkable position; to grow up without his parents.
“Aiden will be cared for by his loving family and he will have a long road ahead to heal, find stability, and ultimately navigate life as an orphan. He is surrounded by a community of friends and extended family that will embrace him with love, and any means available to ensure he has everything he needs as he grows.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
“On behalf of his family, and with their permission, I am establishing this fundraiser to support him and the caregivers who will be tasked with raising, caring for, and supporting Aiden as he and his support system embark on this unexpected journey.”
The shooting victims
Suspect Robert E Crimo III was arrested hours after the attack and charged with seven counts of first degree murder.
The 21-year-old said to have planned his attack for several weeks ad is alleged to have climbed a fire escape ladder onto the roof of a business before firing more than 70 rounds into the crowd with a high-powered AR-15-style assault rifle.
Police said he dressed in women’s clothing to hide his facial tattoos and to blend in as he escaped the scene.