The Duchess of Sussex’s estranged father has said that “Harry owes me, Meghan owes me” and that it is time for his daughter to “look after daddy”.
Thomas Markle, who has not spoken to his daughter since her May 2018 wedding to Prince Harry, made the comments in a documentary which was filmed before the couple’s decision to step back as senior members of the Royal Family.
Giving his perspective on the rift with his daughter in the Channel 5 feature, the 75-year-old defended his decision to make the film, which was broadcast on Wednesday night.
He said: “At this point, they owe me. The royals owe me. Harry owes me, Meghan owes me. What I’ve been through I should be rewarded for.
“My daughter told me that when I reach my senior years she’ll take care of me. I’m in my senior years now – it’s time to look after daddy.”
He claimed the portrayal of him in the media had been unfair and that he had agreed to the documentary “because I want everyone to know that I’m not all the trashy things that are being said about me”.
“I want Harry and Meghan to see this video and know that this is not fair,” he said.
More from Duchess Of Sussex
The Prince: Orlando Bloom to star as Prince Harry in royal spoof cartoon
Harry and Meghan: Which celebs could make up their inner circle?
Harry and Meghan threaten legal action over Canada paparazzi shots
Harry and Meghan: The duke has landed but the Sussexes’ future is still up in the air
Prince Harry arrives on Vancouver Island to begin new life
Why Harry’s speech will have caused more upset within the palace
Brand Sussex could make ‘absolute fortune’
Mr Markle, who did not attend the couple’s wedding after suffering a heart attack, watched the royal spectacle on television instead.
He said he was “jealous” of Prince Charles walking Meghan down the aisle because it was something “he really wanted to do” – and said he cried.
“My daughter looked beautiful. I wish I could have been there with her. I was certainly appreciative Charles was there,” he said.
“I admit I cried a bit about that. To this day I can’t forget that moment.”
Meghan v Mail On Sunday: Key Defence claims
In a part of the interview released before it aired, Mr Markle said he wanted to apologise to the Queen for missing the wedding.
The former lighting director, who has never met his grandson Archie, said it was “almost a joke” that he heard the news Meghan was pregnant on the radio rather than directly from his daughter.
“To them I don’t exist and now Harry, whether he realises it or not, is part of my family and I’m part of his. We should be talking,” he said.
‘He’s not 12 years old any more – he’s got no right to be this sensitive.”
:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker
Mr Markle who had already accused his daughter of “cheapening” the Royal Family in part of the interview released at the weekend, said it was possible he would never see Harry and Meghan again.
“The last time they might see me is being lowered into the ground,” he said.
“I don’t think at this point they are thrilled to see me or want to talk to me.”
The interview comes after it emerged Mr Markle could testify against Meghan in her legal battle with The Mail on Sunday, with High Court documents revealing he forms part of the newspaper’s defence.