Ten more bodies found in rubble of collapsed Miami building on 14th day of search

Ten more bodies have been pulled from the rubble of a Miami building that collapsed two weeks ago, bringing the total death count to 46, authorities have said.

Miami-Dadeassistant fire chief Raide Jadallah told family members in a private briefing on Wednesday that additional human remains had also been found in the destroyed building.

It comes as the search for victims reached its 14th consecutive day.

The chance of finding survivors nearly two weeks on appears very slim, but the search is continuing
Image:A total of 46 people have so far been confirmed to have died in the disaster

Mr Jadallah also revealed that no new “voids” have been discovered so far in areas that became accessible for the first time after the remaining portion of the condo building was demolished on Sunday night.

Rescuers had hoped to find new pockets where there might potentially be survivors.

Crews “did some significant removal of the pile”, he said.

“They were able to get down to various areas to inspect.”

More on Florida

  • Rescuers fear they won’t find any more survivors after apartment block’s collapse in Miami

  • Miami building collapse: Three more bodies found as remaining section of apartment block demolished

  • Miami building collapse: Remainder of destroyed apartment block to be demolished as two more bodies found

  • Firefighter’s daughter, seven, is among the dead after Florida building collapse

  • Miami building collapse: Joe Biden offers comfort to grieving families in Florida – ‘hope springs eternal’

  • Miami building collapse: Bodies of two children, aged 4 and 10, found in rubble

The fire chief also told families that the search and rescue operation continues and has not yet transitioned to a recovery mode.

“We’re not there yet,” he said.

No one has been rescued from the site since the immediate aftermath of the high-rise condominium collapse on 24 June when many residents were asleep.

Emergency teams have been growing increasingly pessimistic as they find no new signs of survivalin recent days.

Miami-Dade County fire chief Alan Cominsky said on Tuesday that they were still searching “as aggressively as we can”.

But he added: “Unfortunately, we are not seeing anything positive. The key things – void spaces, living spaces – we’re not seeing anything like that.”

On Tuesday, more than 100 people who were in Champlain Towers South remained unaccounted for.

Woman says sister was on phone to husband as she stood on collapsed Miami building balcony

Woman says sister was on phone to husband as she stood on collapsed Miami building balcony

While still officially a search and rescue, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said families were preparing for confirmation of “tragic loss”.

“I think everybody will be ready when it’s time to move to the next phase,” she said.

She said US President Joe Biden, who visited the area last week, called on Tuesday to offer his continued support.

The search is expected to carry on despite the approach of Hurricane Elsa, as Surfside is forecast to avoid the worst of the weather.

Mark Gibson

Graduates in Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 1990. Move to Los Angeles California in 2004. Specialized in Internet journalism.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *