Number of dead in collapse of Miami apartment building rises to nine

The number of people who have died in the collapse of a high-rise apartment building in Miami has risen to nine, officials say.

Speaking at a press conference, Miami-Dade’s county mayor Daniella Levine Cava said that eight bodies had been recovered from the rubble since Thursday’s disaster and another victim had died in hospital.

Four of those victims have been identified, she added.

The number of dead is expected to rise, with more than 150 people still missing.

Experts from Israel and Mexico have joined the search and rescue effort, aided by search dogs, sonar, drones and infrared scanning.

There is still hope that some people have been able to survive in air pockets formed in the debris.

On Saturday, Ms Cava had said the efforts were being hampered by a fire in the wreckage but she said on Sunday that this fire had been dealt with

More on Florida

  • Miami building collapse: Report warned of structural damage three years ago – and sister block ‘could be evacuated’

  • ‘Honey, the pool is caving in’: Woman says sister was on phone to husband as she stood on collapsed Miami building balcony

  • Miami building collapse: ‘We are praying every minute’ – family clinging to hope as 159 people still unaccounted for

  • Miami building collapse: ‘They were angels’ – loved ones of the missing desperate for answers after beach disaster

  • Miami building collapse: At least four killed as Briton and her child among nearly 100 unaccounted for

  • Miami building collapse: 99 people unaccounted for as rescuers continue search for survivors

A trench has been dug to separate the smoking debris from the rest of the rubble, she added.

Fire Chief Alan Cominsky said: “The biggest thing now is hope.

“That’s what’s driving us. It’s an extremely difficult situation.”

It comes after the publication of an engineers’ report completed three years ago, which warned of structural problems at Champlain Tower South, the collapsed building.

The report said that the 12-storey apartment block would need $9.1m in repairs to fix defects that included major structural damage beneath the pool deck and “concrete deterioration” in the underground carpark.

Donna DiMaggio Berger, a lawyer who works with the residents’ association, said the board had taken out a $12m line of credit to pay for the repairs and asked owners to pay $80,000 each.

Roof repairs had started and the board had been gathering bids for the concrete work but the pandemic had slowed the project, she added.

It was not clear if the damage described in the report was connected to the collapse but Gregg Schlesinger, a lawyer and former general contractor who specialises in construction-failure cases, was convinced.

He said investigations and the inevitable lawsuits would eventually reveal the full story but he added: “We do know one thing: there was a structural failure.

“We know another thing: The structural failure should not have occurred.”

The collapse has left people living in surrounding blocks nervous, none more so than the residents of Champlain Tower North, the sister building to Champlain Tower South.

The two blocks built just one year apart, with the same design and same builders, yet residents of the north tower have been told that evacuation is not necessary.

Mark Gibson

Graduates in Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 1990. Move to Los Angeles California in 2004. Specialized in Internet journalism.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *