No pedestrians in New York City have been fatally struck by a car in a 58 day span – the longest period since records began, according to officials.
As a result of the coronavirus lockdown in the city, cars have been largely absent from the roads, meaning that the streets are far quieter than normal.
According to the city’s Department of Transportation commissioner Polly Trottenberg, it is the longest period without a pedestrian fatality on the city’s roads since 1983.
But she said New Yorkers were taking advantage of the quieter streets and urged people to remain cautious.
She told the city’s transport committee: “Unfortunately some drivers are taking advantage of our empty streets to speed recklessly, and we know we can never let up our vigilance.”
Ms Trottenberg added that the number of speeding fines handed out has doubled since the start of the pandemic in the city.
As of Wednesday, the city has been on lockdown for 52 days – meaning there had been around four days beforehand without a collision.
More from Covid-19
Coronavirus: Uber passengers and drivers will have to wear face masks from Monday
Coronavirus: Premier League players told they’re not ‘guinea pigs’ if season resumes next month
Coronavirus: Packed buses and plenty of golf – this is what England’s eased lockdown looked like
How much worse will the economic hit due to COVID-19 be?
Coronavirus: Building sites to increase working hours until 9pm in residential areas
Coronavirus: MPs ‘alarmed’ by plans for them to return to parliament in person
:: Listen to Divided States on Apple podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Spreaker
However, New York’s streets are beginning to reopen after Mayor Bill de Blasio said last month he wanted to unlock 40 miles of the city’s roads before the end of May.
New York has been at the epicentre of the US COVID-19 outbreak, recording more than 21,000 deaths in the state alone.