Final victim identified more than one month after Miami building collapse

The remains of the final unaccounted for victim of the apartment block collapse in Miami have been identified, her family have said.

Estelle Hedaya, 54, was the last victim to be confirmed – more than one month after the catastrophe that claimed 98 lives and became the largest non-hurricane related emergency response in Florida.

Her younger brother, Ikey Hedaya, confirmed that her funeral will be held on Tuesday.

A workers make her way past the rubble and debris of the Champlain Towers South condo in Surfside, Florida on Tuesday, July 6, 2021. The rubble shown here is from the front portion of the condo towers, which was demolished 11 days after the back part of the tower collapsed with people inside.
Image:The remains of Champlain Towers South condo in Surfside, Florida

“She always mentioned God anytime she was struggling with anything,” he said, adding he was drawing strength from God, just as he’d seen his sister do.

Since the collapse on 24 June, search teams have spent weeks looking for victims but said on Friday that their search had ended.

“Today I can report, because of the sustained heroic efforts, the last remaining missing person has now been accounted for and identified and the family notified,” Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.

“Through these tireless efforts we were able to at least bring closure to all those who reported missing loved ones.”

More on Miami

  • Miami building collapse: Search for survivors is called off after two weeks with authorities saying there is ‘no chance of life’

  • Ten more bodies found in rubble of collapsed Miami building on 14th day of search

  • Rescuers fear they won’t find any more survivors after apartment block’s collapse in Miami

  • Miami building collapse: Three more bodies found as remaining section of apartment block demolished

  • Miami building collapse: Remainder of destroyed apartment block to be demolished as two more bodies found

  • Miami building collapse: Bodies of two children, aged 4 and 10, found in rubble

The cause of the collapse is still not clear but concerns had been raised about structural problems in the 40-year-old building in an engineering report done three years ago.

The problems described in that report are the focus of several inquiries, including a grand jury investigation.

Nearby buildings are also being inspected for signs of poor construction or structural weaknesses.

Mark Gibson

Graduates in Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 1990. Move to Los Angeles California in 2004. Specialized in Internet journalism.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *