Donald Trump regularly hits headlines with his outrageous and often divisive tweets.
The 74-year-old has used the platform more avidly than any president before him.
He was as prolific on the social media platform before he was elected the 45th president in 2016, posting much talked about tweets as far back as the early 2010s.
Here are 45 of the most controversial from both his time before and after the White House.
1.COVID-19 has killed over 210,000 Americans. However, on Monday, after spending the weekend in hospital with coronavirus, Mr Trump tweeted to say he was headed home feeling “better than he did 20 years ago”.
I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M. Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 5, 2020
2. From the start of the pandemic he has repeatedly called COVID-19 the “China virus”.
Starting to get VERY high marks in our handling of the Coronavirus (China Virus), especially when compared to other countries and areas of the world. Now the Vaccines (Plus) are coming, and fast!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 7, 2020
3. Mr Trump’s maths caused a backlash when he insisted cases in the US were higher because testing rates were higher.
For the 1/100th time, the reason we show so many Cases, compared to other countries that haven’t done nearly as well as we have, is that our TESTING is much bigger and better. We have tested 40,000,000 people. If we did 20,000,000 instead, Cases would be half, etc. NOT REPORTED!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 9, 2020
4. In the world of Donald Trump it’s patriotic to wear a face mask – even when you’ve spent months denying it’s necessary.
We are United in our effort to defeat the Invisible China Virus, and many people say that it is Patriotic to wear a face mask when you can’t socially distance. There is nobody more Patriotic than me, your favorite President! pic.twitter.com/iQOd1whktN
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 20, 2020
5. China is also responsible for making up global warming, according to Mr Trump.
The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 6, 2012
6. And wind turbines kill American bald eagles.
Obama’s wind turbines kill “13-39 million birds and bats every year!” http://t.co/33vZUrkKu2 Save our bald eagles, symbol of our nation!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 23, 2014
7. In 2018 there was this bizarre tweet about a fight with Joe Biden.
Crazy Joe Biden is trying to act like a tough guy. Actually, he is weak, both mentally and physically, and yet he threatens me, for the second time, with physical assault. He doesn’t know me, but he would go down fast and hard, crying all the way. Don’t threaten people Joe!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 22, 2018
8. In January 2017 President Trump set the record for the lowest approval rating since Eisenhower. It hit just 45%. He reacted by saying the polls were “rigged”.
The same people who did the phony election polls, and were so wrong, are now doing approval rating polls. They are rigged just like before.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 17, 2017
9. In December 2019 he called the process to get him impeached over claims he sought help from Ukraine to smear Mr Biden and help boost his chances of a 2020 win a “witch hunt”. He even retweeted President Putin’s supportive comments, an interesting choice considering the speculation over his links to Russia.
A total Witch Hunt! https://t.co/PEe35rewE9
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 21, 2019
10. Mr Trump has tweeted a lot about voter fraud, even using it to argue he did in fact win the popular vote – not Hillary Clinton.
In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 27, 2016
11. Mr Trump has continued tweeting about one of his favourite topics from the 2016 election – voter fraud. Despite there being no evidence this occurred then or is happening now, he has called the upcoming election the “most corrupt” in history.
11,00 North Carolina residents get incorrect voter registration forms. 2000 LA County Voters received “faulty” Ballots, with NO WAY TO VOTE FOR PRESIDENT. Many others throughout USA. Here we go. This will be the most corrupt Election in American History!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 7, 2020
12. It was under the Obama administration that Osama bin Laden was found and killed. However, Mr Trump claims he knew where the terrorist was years prior.
Of course we should have captured Osama Bin Laden long before we did. I pointed him out in my book just BEFORE the attack on the World Trade Center. President Clinton famously missed his shot. We paid Pakistan Billions of Dollars & they never told us he was living there. Fools!..
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 19, 2018
13. Back in 2016 Mr Trump announced his plans to build a wall on the southern border and make Mexico, a much poorer country, pay for it.
Mexico will pay for the wall!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 1, 2016
14. One of Mr Trump’s most shocking claims accused then-President Barack Obama of wire-tapping Trump Tower during the election. The claims were not backed up by any evidence.
Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my “wires tapped” in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 4, 2017
15. Mr Trump was obsessed with the theory Mr Obama was not an American citizen as far back as the start of the 2010s. Barack Obama produced his birth certificate as proof in 2011 but it didn’t stop Mr Trump tweeting this odd conspiracy theory in 2013.
How amazing, the State Health Director who verified copies of Obama’s “birth certificate” died in plane crash today. All others lived
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 12, 2013
16. He sent this insensitive tweet about the 2015 attack on satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris which saw 12 killed and 11 injured.
If the morons who killed all of those people at Charlie Hebdo would have just waited, the magazine would have folded – no money, no success!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 14, 2015
17. Critics feared he could start a war with this tweet threatening Iran.
To Iranian President Rouhani: NEVER, EVER THREATEN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN OR YOU WILL SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THE LIKES OF WHICH FEW THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAVE EVER SUFFERED BEFORE. WE ARE NO LONGER A COUNTRY THAT WILL STAND FOR YOUR DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH. BE CAUTIOUS!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 23, 2018
18. He sent this tweet about the 2017 London Bridge terror attack to further his own political agenda on home security.
Another attack in London by a loser terrorist.These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 15, 2017
19. Nobody knew what this meant. The meaning of ‘covfefe’ is still a debate today.
Who can figure out the true meaning of “covfefe” ??? Enjoy!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 31, 2017
20. President Trump thinks he is one of the smartest people on the planet, according to this tweet.
Sorry losers and haters, but my I.Q. is one of the highest -and you all know it! Please don’t feel so stupid or insecure,it’s not your fault
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 9, 2013
21. He said the Black Lives Matter movement was becoming a “symbol of hate” in a Twitter tirade against plans to paint a BLM slogan outside Trump Tower.
….horrible BLM chant, “Pigs In A Blanket, Fry ‘Em Like Bacon”. Maybe our GREAT Police, who have been neutralized and scorned by a mayor who hates & disrespects them, won’t let this symbol of hate be affixed to New York’s greatest street. Spend this money fighting crime instead!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 1, 2020
22. He called Stormy Daniels a “horseface” and a “total con” over claims she had an affair with him.
“Federal Judge throws out Stormy Danials lawsuit versus Trump. Trump is entitled to full legal fees.” @FoxNews Great, now I can go after Horseface and her 3rd rate lawyer in the Great State of Texas. She will confirm the letter she signed! She knows nothing about me, a total con!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 16, 2018
23. Mr Trump sent this tweet claiming to “love Hispanics” from Trump Tower in early 2016.
Happy #CincoDeMayo! The best taco bowls are made in Trump Tower Grill. I love Hispanics! https://t.co/ufoTeQd8yApic.twitter.com/k01Mc6CuDI
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 5, 2016
24. He took aim at Twilight actress Kristen Stewart and her then-boyfriend Robert Pattinson after it was revealed she had an affair with a director.
Everyone knows I am right that Robert Pattinson should dump Kristen Stewart. In a couple of years, he will thank me. Be smart, Robert.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 22, 2012
25. He faced a lengthy legal battle in 2017 over his use of an executive order to bring in a travel ban on seven Muslim countries. After several failed legal challenges he tweeted this.
SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 9, 2017
26. There was this unintentionally funny tweet praising a heroic dog who helped in the capture of Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al Baghdadi.
We have declassified a picture of the wonderful dog (name not declassified) that did such a GREAT JOB in capturing and killing the Leader of ISIS, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi! pic.twitter.com/PDMx9nZWvw
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 28, 2019
27. He called London Mayor Sadiq Khan a “stone cold loser”.
.@SadiqKhan, who by all accounts has done a terrible job as Mayor of London, has been foolishly “nasty” to the visiting President of the United States, by far the most important ally of the United Kingdom. He is a stone cold loser who should focus on crime in London, not me……
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 3, 2019
28. In 2017 he took aim at one of America’s most-loved actresses and a critic of his, Meryl Streep.
Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn’t know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes. She is a…..
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 9, 2017
29. He even hit out at the Oscars in 2018 (a ceremony full of criticism of him) and called himself the only real “star” left.
Lowest rated Oscars in HISTORY. Problem is, we don’t have Stars anymore – except your President (just kidding, of course)!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 6, 2018
30. He could have been Time Magazine’s Person of the Year in 2017, he claimed.
Time Magazine called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named “Man (Person) of the Year,” like last year, but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot. I said probably is no good and took a pass. Thanks anyway!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 24, 2017
31. He drew widespread condemnation for this tweet about sexual assaults in the military.
26,000 unreported sexual assults in the military-only 238 convictions. What did these geniuses expect when they put men & women together?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 7, 2013
32. When the Duchess of Cambridge was photographed topless on her honeymoon many agreed it was an invasion of privacy. Not President Trump, however.
Who wouldn’t take Kate’s picture and make lots of money if she does the nude sunbathing thing. Come on Kate!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 17, 2012
33. During the Ebola crisis he said volunteers abroad shouldn’t be allowed to come home.
The U.S. cannot allow EBOLA infected people back. People that go to far away places to help out are great-but must suffer the consequences!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 2, 2014
34. This tweet about nuclear weapons in the hands of “crazy” leaders was viewed as ironic by many.
The global warming we should be worried about is the global warming caused by NUCLEAR WEAPONS in the hands of crazy or incompetent leaders!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 8, 2014
35. In this thread Mr Trump told congresswomen of colour – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib and Ayanna Pressley, and Ilhan Omar, who came to the US as a refugee aged 12 – to leave the US and “go home”.
So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly……
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 14, 2019
36. In August 2019 the US president confirmed he was trying to purchase Greenland. The island is Danish territory. His offer was rejected by the Danish PM and Mr Trump cancelled a scheduled visit there as a result.
I promise not to do this to Greenland! pic.twitter.com/03DdyVU6HA
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 20, 2019
37. He tweeted this about actress Bette Midler in 2012.
While @BetteMidler is an extremely unattractive woman, I refuse to say that because I always insist on being politically correct.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 28, 2012
38. He spread the disproven idea that vaccines can cause autism.
I’m not against vaccinations for your children, I’m against them in 1 massive dose.Spread them out over a period of time & autism will drop!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 4, 2014
39. He said negative polls in the last election race were “fake news”.
Any negative polls are fake news, just like the CNN, ABC, NBC polls in the election. Sorry, people want border security and extreme vetting.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 6, 2017
40. He suggested he had brought back the phrase “Merry Christmas”.
People are proud to be saying Merry Christmas again. I am proud to have led the charge against the assault of our cherished and beautiful phrase. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 25, 2017
41. He called for global warming to increase to warm up a snowy New York.
It’s freezing and snowing in New York–we need global warming!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 7, 2012
42. In August he sent this tweet to former first lady Michelle Obama.
Somebody please explain to @MichelleObama that Donald J. Trump would not be here, in the beautiful White House, if it weren’t for the job done by your husband, Barack Obama. Biden was merely an afterthought, a good reason for that very late & unenthusiastic endorsement…..
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 18, 2020
43. He called the media the “lamestream media” full of fake news.
It’s freezing and snowing in New York–we need global warming!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 7, 2012
44. He sent this insensitive tweet to mark 9/11 back in 2013.
“@realDonaldTrump: I would like to extend my best wishes to all, even the haters and losers, on this special date, September 11th.”
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 12, 2013
45. He crowned himself king of Twitter back in 2012.
Thanks- many are saying I’m the best 140 character writer in the world. It’s easy when it’s fun.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 10, 2012