US mercenary admits role in failed bid to capture Nicolas Maduro

A former US special forces soldier has admitted he was part of a botched bid to oust Venezuela’s president.

In a video shown on state TV, Luke Denman claimed he signed a contract with a Florida-based security company to train rebel troops and carry out an assault to remove Nicolas Maduro from power in exchange for up to $100,000.

He said the mission had been to secure an airport and then “bring in planes” including “one to put Maduro on and take him back to the United States”.

Image: The two men were identified as Denman and Aaron Berry

Mr Denman and Airan Berry, both former special forces soldiers who served in Iraq, were arrested on Monday following what authorities described as a botched beach landing in the fishing village of Chuao.

Both men are associated with Silvercorp USA, a private firm founded by Jordan Goudreau, an ex-Green Beret, who said Operation Gideon was aimed at “liberating Venezuela“.

In a virtual press conference, Mr Maduro said the failed plot was coordinated by Washington, adding: “Donald Trump is the direct chief of this invasion.”

Mr Trump has said the US had nothing to do with the attack and that Mr Goudreau is under federal investigation for arms trafficking.

More from Nicolas Maduro

  • Venezuela: Two US citizens held after failed coup attempt are named

  • Venezuela attack: Former US special forces soldier says he led botched plot to overthrow President Maduro

  • Nicolas Maduro’s strong-arm tactics and foreign backing keep Venezuelan opponents at bay

  • Venezuela social media blackout lifted minutes before President Maduro’s speech

  • Man and woman killed in clashes on Venezuela and Brazil border as Richard Branson stages concert

  • Venezuela rejects EU ultimatum for new elections

Juan Guaido (L) and President Nicolas Maduro
Image:Juan Guaido (L) and President Nicolas Maduro

Meanwhile, secretary of state Mike Pompeo said: “If we’d have been involved, it would have gone differently.”

The operation, on Sunday, was allegedly financed by US-backed Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido, according to Mr Goudreau.

Mr Guaido has denied the claim.

Eight people were killed at a beach near the port city of La Guaira – near the capital Caracas – during the foiled operation.

Eight others – including Mr Denman and Mr Berry – were arrested.

Footage said to show people detained after the raid was posted on Twitter and broadcast on state television.

The US has imposed tough economic sanctions against Venezuela in an effort to oust Mr Maduro, who is accused of rigging elections in 2018.

Mark Gibson

Graduates in Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 1990. Move to Los Angeles California in 2004. Specialized in Internet journalism.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *