Coronavirus: Foreign Office warns against all but essential travel to US

The Foreign Office has warned against all but essential travel to the United States.

The move comes hours after Washington said a ban on UK and Irish flights to the US would be introduced because of the coronavirus outbreak.

A Foreign Office spokesperson said: ”We are advising against all but essential travel to the USA following the US government announcement imposing restrictions on travel from the UK.”

Britons will be added to America’s ban on travellers from Europe from 4am GMT on Tuesday.

Coronavirus: The infection numbers in real time

Coronavirus: The infection numbers in real time

People with journeys planned are advised to check with their airline and tour operator.

Those already in America are also recommended to stay in contact with their travel company and airline.

Acting homeland security secretary Chad Wolf said the ban had been extended because of the growing COVID-19 outbreak in the UK, where 35 people have died.

More from Covid-19

  • Coronavirus: More than 10,000 armed forces staff put on standby over COVID-19 spread

  • Coronavirus: PHE leaked document says ‘7.9 million could be hospitalised’

  • Coronavirus: Donald Trump urges panic buyers to ‘relax’ as Federal Reserve cuts interest rate

  • Coronavirus: What it is like on Rome’s empty streets

  • Coronavirus: No 10 to hold daily news conferences on COVID-19 fight following calls for transparency

  • Coronavirus: Jeremy Corbyn accuses government of being ‘well behind the curve’ on COVID-19

President Trump thanked those working to stop COVID-19 in the US

Trump announces UK and Ireland travel ban

Downing Street said on Saturday night that Boris Johnson had spoken to Mr Trump but did not confirm if they had discussed the ban.

America’s 30-day suspension on passenger flights from the Schengen Area of mainland Europe started on Friday – but the UK and Ireland were not initially included.

President Trump blamed the European Union for not acting quickly to address the outbreak and said US clusters were “seeded” by European travellers.

However, he said the UK was doing a “good job” on handling the situation

The ban was criticised by the EU, which said it was a “unilateral decision” taken “without consultation”.

Meanwhile, the coronavirus continues to cause havoc for international travel and the world’s airlines.

Coronavirus: How COVID-19 spread across the whole UK

Coronavirus: How COVID-19 spread across the whole UK

Ryanair has announced major cuts to its Spanish flights because of the lockdown in the country.

“Ryanair Group Airlines (including Buzz and Lauda) has been forced to severely reduce flights to/from Spain, the Balearic Islands and Canary Islands from 24:00 Sun 15 Mar until 24:00 Thurs 19 Mar,” said a statement.

The chairman of Virgin Airlines is also set to tell Boris Johnson the UK airline industry needs billions to avert a catastrophe.

Morocco has suspended all international passenger flights to and from its airports. The country has had 28 coronavirus cases including one death.

    Sky News will broadcast a special programme at 6:30pm tonight, with experts answering your questions #AskSkyNews

Mark Gibson

Graduates in Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 1990. Move to Los Angeles California in 2004. Specialized in Internet journalism.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *